Thursday, July 8, 2010

City meets Amishville: Culture Shock

I am on my lunch break, using high speed wifi (thank you, Kitchen Cupboard!)... thinking back on the past few days since my move from Chicago to Shipshewana. It is a bit of a blur...

I arrived at my sister's house on Sunday night, unloaded the truck and drove it to nearby Topeka to drop it off. My sister left for work early but had arranged for her husband to bring in me in to work 'later'. Later was 6:30am (5:30am Chicago time) and I was a bit groggy starting off. I wish I still drank coffee, and lots of it... haha. The day went well, I started out in our booth in the local flea market and was there until it was time to open the store. I am so thankful for my old job at Cornucopia! Its nice to be able to walk back into a job that is already familiar. I worked until 5pm and Tuesday and Wednesday were much the same... long hours at work.

Highlight of the week so far:
I went swimming with a bunch of my nieces and nephews at my brother's house. They have a lake on the back of their property complete with a water slide we put in a long time ago. I still remember diving down with goggles on to help make sure everything under water was as planned. Fun times. Mom and dad came over, too, and we had some grilled burgers and watermelon for dinner. Nothing like good, homemade burgers. After dinner, we sat around for awhile and then the kids and I hopped back in for another swim. I ended up in the middle of the lake floating on back, hand in hand with my niece... it was great! She told me later that she had taken a nap while we floated. Life is good.

Normal things that make me wonder...
EVERYONE waves and says hello. Even if they don't know you. I have found myself wondering if I left something on top of the car, or if I should know them...
My sister (and everyone else), leaves her car unlocked with the keys in it wherever we go... and I have come close to locking them in several times by hitting the power locks on the way out. Habit. Can't stop. Besides, its crazy.

Lunch break is almost over...

No comments:

Post a Comment