Wednesday, July 14, 2010

All in one day: quilts, blueberries, and groundhogs

The stillness is slowly becoming 'normal' and is less creepy every day. At first, it felt like the quiet moment in a movie before all hell breaks loose... causing me to wake up all crazy in the middle of the night trying to figure out what woke me, only to realize the cause is the absence of sirens, traffic, horns, people talking and the train at the end of my street. Even weirder is the pitch blackness of the night, strange after being in city that is never dark. I am feeling more rested every day as I adjust to being in the country, where hearing frogs and crickets is common.

I woke up early today and went into town a few hours before I started work. It was so peaceful to watch the town wake up as I sat in a rocking chair on the porch of the mercantile, journaling and praying for today. The local flea market was open early and I found some of the BEST blueberries... and randomly saw my Aunt who was visiting the flea market from Ohio.

I had a great day at work, sorting through stuff and making piles for things we want to sell at our tent sale this weekend. I am enjoying conversations with customers and getting back into the groove of customer service. Working with my sister has been fun and thankfully we agree on most things related to the store and has given me her permission to rearrange anything I want. :)

After work, my brother picked me up at the house to take me to pick up the car he is letting me borrow for a week. We took a few detours... past the house we grew up in so he could check on some of his land in the woods behind it. He pulled a rifle from behind the seat of his pickup, explaining he was 'getting it ready'... what?! "Your driving around with a loaded rifle!?", looking around to see who sees us (typical urban reaction). He was loving the shock value. We were both laughing by now and I was trying to figure out what he was getting ready for... Apparently, the farmers in the area know he likes to hunt and give him free reign to shoot groundhogs he sees on their land. lol. Off we went, bumping around on country roads keeping an eye out for ground hogs, doing u turns and pulling off into the ditches to get the groundhogs. We saw a few but he had to wait to shoot so that he wouldn't scare the horses as they pulled buggies down the road... and then it was too late. I didn't mind missing out on that. He did show me one that was hanging on a fence from earlier this week (gross!) as well as pictures on his camera phone from a few he shot earlier today. I don't think I ever gave much thought to groundhogs today... except for groundhog day. Never saw that coming.

Tonight, I went through some boxes my mom had packed for me when they moved and found the doll I used to play with when I was a kid along with multiple sets of Amish doll clothes. I also found a crazy quilt that my Momy (grandma) had made. Good times. And then a good glass of homemade iced tea. Time to hit the hay (not really, I have bed).

No comments:

Post a Comment