Monday, February 14, 2011

Experiencing the Divine Romance

The howling wind against my window was the first thing I heard as I was waking up this morning. And then I heard it like a song singing over me... a constant refrain in my thoughts... "you are not alone, you are not alone, you are not alone"... I love moments like these. Its not like I don't already know this, but for some reason God has decided to interrupt my ordinary routine of a barely awake morning just to remind me... " you are not alone"... It kept playing over and over in my mind as I prepared for my day. I found myself singing along (and I'm not what you would call a morning person)...

As I read, I came across a few passages that spoke to me...

The Sovereign LORD has given me a well-instructed tongue, to know the word that sustains the weary. He wakens me morning by morning, wakens my ear to listen like one being instructed. Isaiah 50:4

I remember a time when being awakened by the Lord in the morning was a normal thing. Lately, I feel His constant companionship but I don't hear Him speak a lot. Its like He just wants to be with me. It has been a time of walking by faith, not by sight... a time of going back and remembering the last thing He said and trusting that if and when He wants to say something to me, He is more then able to get my attention. This was one of those times when it seemed like He cupped my face in His hands as though to say, "Are you listening? Because I really want you to hear me. You are not alone." It was interesting to me that He chose today to say this, because I didn't feel alone.

When I scrolled through my facebook news feed, it quickly became apparent that a lot of people do feel very alone today. It is Valentines Day! Maybe this message wasn't only for me. And then, to top it all off... I was flipping through the stations on the way to work and there it was! "you are not alone, you are not alone..." Leave it to God to be quirky enough to speak to me through a Michael Jackson song...

The other passages are as follows...

The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
Psalm 34:18

Those who know your name trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.
Psalm 9:10

3 comments:

  1. Aw!! What a precious message! And yes, leave it to our Lord, the creator of humor to remind you with a Michael Jackson song!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my favorite Baby Ruthie Lou,,what a truly awe inspiring message so full of truth and never ending love from our Daddy..I love you soo much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So... for a little clarification...
    I have gotten numerous messages in my inbox from people who have read this and seem to think that this post happened because I am single; encouraging me about my relationship status, etc. Thank you for thinking I am a great person! I look forward to the day that I will have a husband and children... I believe God has it under control and will bring the right man at the right time.
    This post was about more than that, I have many friends who are married and/or in committed relationships... some are very happy and fulfilled and others feel alone. A romantic partner cannot be everything you are not and cannot be all that you need. God can. And He is always there. I believe that real fulfillment comes from the Lord and a partner here on earth can then be the cherry on top!

    And maybe I just opened another can of worms...

    ReplyDelete